Achieve Candidacy for Dental Implants with a Sinus Lift
Dental implants offer life-changing benefits by allowing patients to regain oral function following tooth loss. To prevent an implant from disturbing the soft tissues of the sinuses, some patients may need to undergo a sinus lift. The treatment augments the upper jaw using donor tissue or grafting material. Once the bone graft heals, you will be able to safely undergo implant placement at our Monroe, CT, dental practice serving Huntington and Newtown.
Our esteemed doctors are two of the most trusted and respected doctors in the greater Monroe area. Dr. John Fatse is a fellow of the Academy of General Dentistry, and Dr. John Scovic is a member of the American Academy of Implant Dentistry.
Am I a Candidate for a Sinus Lift?
If you are unable to have a dental implant placed due to insufficient upper jawbone density or sinuses that naturally lay too close to the treatment area, you are likely a good candidate for a sinus lift. During your examination at our dental practice, one of our doctors will examine your jaw. Our office uses advanced computed tomography (CT) scanners to assess the quality of our patients’ bone tissue. The scanner allows for a more accurate dental implant treatment.
A sinus lift is a form of oral surgery, meaning that candidates should be in good overall health and free of any conditions that could complicate surgery or recovery. Good candidates for a sinus lift:
- Are not smokers
- Are not on anticoagulant medication
- Understand the potential risks of surgery
- Are willing to follow our doctor’s recovery guidelines thoroughly
If you are unable to have a dental implant placed due to insufficient upper jawbone density or sinuses that naturally lay too close to the treatment area, you are likely a good candidate for a sinus lift.
Benefits of Sinus Lift
Individuals who undergo this common oral surgery can benefit from:
- Reversal of damage resulting from periodontal disease: Periodontal disease eventually leads to some level of bone loss. A sinus lift restores the lost bone tissue while restoring oral health.
- Candidacy for dental implants: Before you can receive a dental implant, you must have enough bone tissue to support the device. Sinus lift surgery allows the implants to be safely placed without risking injuring or rupturing the sinus membranes.
- Safe treatment: Although a sinus lift is invasive, the treatment is straightforward and extremely safe when performed by qualified doctors.
A Look at the Procedure
Sinus lift surgery is performed using local anesthesia. We are glad to offer nitrous oxide sedation for patients who are nervous or anxious about oral surgery. Once you are comfortable and sedated, one of our doctors will make a small incision in your gums to access the upper jawbone. Then, he will elevate the sinus membrane by placing grafting material or donor tissue. Once the surgery is complete, any incisions that were made will be sutured closed. Recovery from this procedure can take four to six months as the bone becomes integrated.
Schedule Your Sinus Lift Today
Once your sinus lift procedure is completed, Dr. Fatse can begin planning your dental implant surgery. To learn more about dental implants and any treatments you may need in order to achieve candidacy for this life-changing solution, please contact our office online or call (203) 429-5373.